A Very Quick Guide to Email SalutationsMay 12th 2015 Sally Ormond annoying emails, Email marketing, email salutations, personalised emails, spam
This won’t take long.
Email marketing is rife.
Every business is doing it. Some are better at it than others.
Let’s get one thing straight, if you’re sending unsolicited emails to people, think carefully about how you greet them.
Today I got one that started:
“To Whom it May Concern.”
It failed before it even started because is shows that:
- It was on obvious mass mailing, i.e. spam
- They couldn’t be bothered to research the people they were contacting
Another greeting doomed to failure is:
For the same reasons.
Also, stop addressing me as “Dear Briar,” “Dear Briar Copywriting” and “Dear briarcopywriting.com”.
If you’re sending out emails…
- Address the recipient by their first name, it at least shows you’ve done some research
- Don’t start with “Thank you for taking the time to read this email”
- Stop using multiple font sizes and colours
- Don’t promise what you can’t deliver (I’ll get you ranking 1st on Google)
Oh, and when I don’t respond to your spam don’t relentlessly chase me until I stick you on my blocked senders list.
That’s all I have to say on the matter….for now.
Feel free to leave a comment about what gets your goat.